Monday, November 24, 2014

Thanksgiving

Hello my Timber Ridge friends and family,


What does Thanksgiving have to do with Timber Ridge?  This is a holiday that is not religous, it does not divide us it includes all of us.  It is a day about friendship and family.  That is what Timber Ridge has meant to Uncle Fred for 60 years.  Each day is more challenging then the past and yet on Thanksgiving families and friends get together and are just thankful that we have each other.   My house is always open for anyone who needs a place to be on this day.  But please call first!  People travel the most on this day because it is a day to be thankful.  It is warm and fuzzy and a fun day.  A day to realize it is all o.k. because we have family and friends that are there for us each and every day.  I remember being a little girl and waking up early to watch the Thanksgiving parades in excitement to see the new floats.  On this day,  I like to think of all the wonderful people I have met at Timber Ridge and how they have impact my life.  My best friend in the world Fran Blauer and how amazing she is.  Her life is one of dedication and love.  I am thankful I met her from camp and that she is my friend.  JM and how he has become my sidekick and hope his day is amazing.  I wonder what he is cooking for Thanksgiving.  Murray is coming from Pennsylvania and staying over so we can  see Fran.  Scuba has joined the table this year and is helping cook our feast.   The years fly by so quickly that it seems like yesterday when Jason Klein had my son's Zack's cabin cleaned the shower house at 6 a.m. because they refused to clean, or when Jason decided to build a bridge for the rope swing and sent my nephew Jeremy Kaufman to get tools.  He got tools and with Andrew Schwartzman  and drilled a hole in the canoe so it would sink.  I remember raiding the canteen when I was 16 and Uncle Fred yelling, Brett Panter get out of there, and out I came with my boyfriend of the summer.  He was shocked.  I remember walking to Green Briar to raid their canteen and toilet paper their cabins at 2 a.m.  I remember midnight trailrides with Jill Severn through the woods, and her yelling don't worry the horses know where they are going.  This summer sitting in front of Cabin 14 and 15 and helping from afar for them to get ready for bed.  Watching them swing from the rafters and counselors so frustrated.  But when I asked them to come outside and I said, "boys time to shower and get ready for bed",  Jacob Sobel and Stevie Ray got their stuff headed to the shower house laughing all the way, and the rest of the cabin turned off the lights and went to sleep.  The counselors thought I was the miracle worker, but I was only a mother.  I think often of Zack Kandel and love to watch how well he is doing, and he is still holding hands with Alexis Hyman.  A true camp romance.  Talking about true camp romances,  I remember staying up all night with Erica Herzog watching T.V. in the main house because she had 102 fever and we just watched, "I love Lucy" , "The Brady Bunch" and other reruns.  Now she is married with two children to her camp sweetheart, "Jordan Lubart".  Neil Herzog met his wife from a friend from camp and he has a child now too.  Then there is Adam Herzog and seeing him visit every summer is like he never left.  Adele their mother, once the ceramics instructor at camp, dressed for Thanksgiving in her grandchildren's school pageant as an Indian with her Timber Ridge gear on.  Thanksgiving a time to remember, a time to be together, a time to talk about the fun, the memories and a time to be thankful we can all be together to share this day.   Eat alot of turkey, sit long after the meal sharing,  and if your ears are buzzing,  we are talking about you with love.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment